April 11, 2009

Taste My Life # 03 : Reflections on Maundy Thursday

The Holy Gospel According to Saint John
chapter 13 verses 1 to 20

(Today’s English Version)

Jesus Washes His Disciples' Feet

on Maundy Thursday, we recall the Lord's Humility by Him washing the feet of His Disciples. Manny people, I heard them say that this kind of humility is very seldom and very unusual for a master, a teacher will lower himself just to wash his followers' feet.

but why feet? why not just wash the hands of His Disciples instead?

they say that during those times were no modes of transportation is available for a commoner like them - royalties and elites has horses and carriages - but to walk or to ride on a stubborn donkey. when a donkey become so stubborn, the rider has no choice but to put it. thus, making the feet more exposed to road dirt and dust.

other theories say that during those times, there is a delegated house servant to wash the feet of the guest.

The Lord's washing the feet of His Disciples is a the highest form of humility. who would have thought that the King will wash His servants' feet. that is why Simon Peter contested and asked the Lord why He will wash his feet (John 13:6). and this kind of humility is clearly not understood then and until now, but the Lord said "...but you will understand later" (John 13:7). as soon as we see a clear view of humility, we really wont understand why.

when a manifestation of humility comes before our eyes, we then to be abusive and take advantage of it or take more of its perks, we ask for more (John 13: 9-10).

as i read and recall the this part of the Holy Gospel, I only have one word, one massage that came to my mind and heart:

forgiveness.

I do believe that no matter how we sinned against the Lord, He is always ready to cleans us and wash away of the dirt that we encounter on the past journeys.

and He set and gave an example of this kind of forgive thus this act of humility. and He reiterates and instructed us "I, your Lord and Teacher, have just washed your feet. You, then, should wash one another's feet. I have set an example for you, so that you will do just what I done for you......happy you will be if you put it into practice!" (John 13:14-17)

i recall those who sinned against me. those who broke: my heart, my trust, my love. am i ready to forgive them? will i forgive them even though that they can’t forgive what i done to them? am i ready to forgive them as soon as they ask for forgiveness?

and the hardest hitting question is "am I ready to ask for forgiveness"?

as for the Lord have said "...If I do not wash you feet. You will no longer be my disciple" (John 13:8)


Disclaimer:
These words are made from a personal opinion and reflection. It does not reflect on the opinion of my religious affiliations and of the Catholic faith.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...