August 14, 2008

Kitchen Lab # 01 : Yummified Media Notche

Jan 1, 2008

Being the one who is pointed out to be the head cook for the media notche, as early as December 5, I’ve been scanning & re scanning the pages of my most favorite “yummy” magazine for what I can prepare, cook & serve. With more than 86 recipes per issue with 8 issues at hand reading it again & again is very pleasing but I have to admit its tiring. And this is my first list:

Main dish: Grilled Lamb chops
Yummy Magazine – July ’07 – page 36)
Pasta in creamy Clam Sauce & mushroom trio
(Yummy Magazine – April ’07 – Page 35)
Side dish: Mashed Potato, Coleslaw, Garlic Mushroom (Yummy Magazine – March ’07 – page 32)
Dessert: Mango Pearl Layers
(Yummy Magazine – Aug ’07 – page 86)

The next thing to deal with is that I don’t have a starter meal. Green Salad is the only thing I can thing about. Good thing after we (me & my sister jenn) done the grocery, I stopped by the magazine stand and fortunate to get my two lacking issues of yummy – May & June 07. While reading these two, I now had a solution to my salad as starter.

Starter: Strawberry & Arugula Salad(Yummy Magazine – May ’07 – page 26)

The next problem was how I can make these dishes fit my budget & the availability of some ingredients. The only solution I had in mind is to re-create these meals not only to solve the problem but to make the dishes show my personality, creativity & passion on food. Using the said meal plan as a template I now created the following menu.

Recipes:


Mixed Greens w/ Dried Mangoes in Italian Dressing

Toss Mixed Greens, chopped Dried Mangoes & Gourmet's Italian dressing in a serving platter. Serve Immediately


Pasta w/ Creamy Clam Sauce & Mushroom Trio

Sauté sliced mushroom trio (shiitake, straw & button) in a buttered pan until brown. Pour in a can of clam chowder, a can of cream of mushroom soup, salt & pepper, bring to boil, simmer for 5 min. add grated cheese, dried basil leaves & Italian seasoning, simmer for another 5min or until cheese melts.


Turbo Broiled Pork Chops

Mix ¼ cup canola oil, dried herbs (rosemary, tarragon, thyme, sage & Italian Seasoning), salt, pepper & lemon juice. Boil a slab of uncut pork chops/pork ribs in water w/ 1 pork broth cube for 30 min. drain & let cool. Rub oil mixture into meat and marinade for 30 min. broil the meat for 15 min at 200C for 15 min each side. Let it rest for 5 min before slicing to serving pieces.

  • Sidings: Coleslaw (left)
    • Mix blanched thinly sliced cabbage, grated carrots, mayonnaise, all-purpose cream, salt & pepper to taste.
  • Sidings: Mashed Potato (center)
    • Mash boiled potato in all-purpose cream, salt & pepper to taste.
  • Sidings: Garlic Mushroom Trio (right)
    • Sauté garlic in butter, until lightly brown, add sliced mushroom trio. Stir fry until golden brown.

Fruity Pearl Ice box

Whip all-purpose cream & condensed milk. Chill in the fridge. Layer the cream, finely chopped puto seko, cream and sliced fruits(strawberries & peaches) & sago. Do another layer, chill overnight.

All photos are captured using Canon Powershot A460
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...